Thursday, July 28, 2005

Don't See This Everyday

When's the last time you've seen a bona fide liberal blogger congratulate the Bush administration on anything? Kevin Drum even manages to keep the snark down to a minimum:
Sure, a lot of this is politically motivated, and I have little doubt that the planned spring withdrawal is being timed to coincide with next year's midterm elections — and probably being timed to avoid a manpower meltdown as well. But politics is part of life. A timetable for withdrawal that's linked to the political process and combined with pressure to protect minority and gender rights, is the best course of action regardless of the motivation. If the Bushies keep it up, kudos to them.

Of course, there are other cases where liberal bloggers have congratulated the Bushies for particular moves and policies. (See, for example, this Dean partisan lauded Bush for his Sudan policy). But it is still nice to see folks transcend partisan affiliation and say "I don't like the guy, but he's right here." Oddly enough, I like seeing this attribute even when I think the actor is wrong on what they're agreeing with (not that I'm saying I disagree with Drum--I obviously like more rights for minorities in Iraq and a strengthened political process; withdrawal is far sketchier though). I agree with Publius that this entirely irrational--why should I like to see Democrats both agree with Republicans AND be wrong about it? I really don't know. I guess polarization has gotten so tiresome that I'm happy to see any cross-aisle partnership, no matter what the cause. However, this is limited to rhetorical props only. Nothing is more infuriating than watching otherwise bickering politicians put aside their differences and unite around idiocy (can you say Bankruptcy Bill?). It's just a wasted opportunity.

While we're on the subject, I have seen almost no examples of the equivalent by conservative bloggers about liberal political figures. Some examples please, and barring that, a bit of parity, perhaps?

No comments: