Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Various Political News

It was the first day of classes today. I'm a bit off--we had virtually no work and I still can't find the energy to blog. Not good. But here are some interesting links to the day's news.

White House Spokesman Scott McClellan breaks with party, supports...mom.

Warning: Republican staffers can be crazy.

Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman may be running for Senate. Umm...I guess I'm excited, but isn't he tied to the mob?

Phoebe Maltz on why the Dreyfus Affair matters to more than just "Francophilic Zionists". And I liked my AP History classes too, Phoebe.

Bull Moose begs to be ignored.

Professor Bainbridge wants an "extended edition" of the Harry Potter flicks, a la Lord of the Rings. I understand the sentiment, but I don't know if I can stand more of that awful acting. So unless the entire extra portion is dedicated solely to Severus Snape (Alan Rickman), count me out.

Compare Powerline versus Crooked Timber on the merits of Plame/NSA leak comparisons (a hint: they disagree).

This one's a bit older, but I loved this post on stock image constructions of Africa by Westerners. I probably made that sound boring--it isn't.

Only a small subset of the blogosphere will care that Constitutional Law and Church/State expert Douglas Laycock is moving from the University of Texas to the University of Michigan. Interesting factoid revealed--he attended Michigan State University as an undergrad. Know who else did? Constitutional law and Church/State expert Michael W. McConnell, currently on the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals and, in my opinion, one of the more brilliant writers I've ever read. What is in the water in East Lansing?

I've been negligent in blogging on the Mining Tragedy, but West Virginia resident John Cole has a must-read post on the subject. This Kevin Drum post also raises questions.

And that's it. Everything else on the internet today is crap. I do feel badly though--I feel like I've promised a true return to blogging for some time now while constantly short-shrifting y'all. So wish me luck to get back into my rhythm as the term gets started.

No comments: