Thursday, August 24, 2006

"By Killing People"

One Paleo-Con offers an easy way to discern the true meaning of any neo-conservative proposal: Just append "by killing people" to the end of it. David Weigel uses Danielle Pletka to demonstrate:
The Palestinians must decide the way forward for themselves. And no amount of cajoling, strategizing or talking can change this most basic fact. The United States should support moderate parties, and encourage pluralistic democracy, by killing people.

Wheeee!

As for me, I've always (tongue-in-cheek) described myself as a liberal who likes to watch things blow up. More seriously, I'm a liberal who is not shy about using military interventions to punish severe human rights violations. Neo-conservatives, too, like the idea of doing good by killing off evil. The problem is that, as the Iraqi reconstruction shows, they don't have the foggiest idea what to do after the killing stage ends. And that, my friends, causes all manner of unpleasantness.

Sadly, when it comes to domestic policy, I think it sometimes applies just as well.
"We need Health Savings Accounts! It will solve our healthcare problem, by killing people

No comments: