Thursday, March 12, 2009

An Employment Update

So I held off for a little bit just to make sure everything was firm and squared away, but now I can say exactly what this job I was hired for actually is.

The answer?

I'm working as an RA for Professors Emily Buss and David Strauss.
Ms. Buss's research interests include children's and parents' rights and the legal system's allocation of authority and responsibility for children’s development among parent, child, and state. She teaches civil procedure, evidence, and courses addressing the law's treatment of children. As Kanter Director of Policy Initiatives, she has worked with students to develop reforms that would improve the legal system’s treatment of youth aging out of foster care.

Mr. Strauss joined the faculty in 1985. In 1990, he was special counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee in connection with the nomination of David Souter to the Supreme Court. Mr. Strauss has argued eighteen cases before the United States Supreme Court. He has served as a member of the Board of Governors of the Chicago Council of Lawyers and is currently chair of the Board of Trustees of the Laboratory Schools. Mr. Strauss is, with Geoffrey Stone and Dennis Hutchinson, editor of the Supreme Court Review. He has published articles on a variety of subjects, principally in constitutional law. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. His current teaching interests are constitutional law, federal jurisdiction, and elements of the law.

Both do work in areas I'm fascinated by. Prof. Strauss' interests fit quite nicely with what I want to teach myself one day. Prof Buss' interests are a bit more tangential to me (though still very interesting), but they also happen to overlap near-perfectly with my girlfriend's research interests. It'll be nice to actually have useful contributions to our conversations again.

I am, to reiterate, very happy. Excitement city!

No comments: