Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Kill Word

I had always thought myself reasonably proficient in Microsoft Word. I could usually keep its auto-correct functions from getting out of hand. I could make outlines in a style I liked. I knew how to move the "small caps" style selection to the tool bar. I even knew the secrets to the "soft-cite" cross-referencing so I could auto-update my footnotes. I was so happy with it that I deliberately refused to load up Microsoft Word 2007, because I felt like I was too well established in 2003.

And then today rolled around, where I tried to learn how to format a table of contents and a table of authorities. And that's when I discovered that beyond the pitiable surface features I had accessed, Microsoft Word is a 900 lbs hellbeast which eats students like me for breakfast and spits them out for pleasure.

5 comments:

The Gaucho Politico said...

yea word doesnt do that so well. i take it your appellate brief is due soon. The ToC and ToA functions are marginally effective except when you need to identify your short form use. If you get it to distinguish between Id.s let me know.

Pope Incontinentius XIII said...

In favor of...?

PG said...

I have a great little primer on doing TOA and TOC in MS Word nicked from my week working an appeal at Legal Aid's immigration unit; I should upload that so it's online.

Dave H said...

PG, that would be super helpful.

Anonymous said...

I can show you what I got from that presentation in the next couple days, if you like.

-Grant