Monday, August 09, 2010

It's That Most Magical Time of Year

There's nothing like the thought of sticking it to Muslims that makes conservatives suddenly care about gay rights:
I’m announcing tonight, that I am planning to build and open the first gay bar that caters not only to the west, but also Islamic gay men. To best express my sincere desire for dialogue, the bar will be situated next to the mosque Park51, in an available commercial space.

This is not a joke. I’ve already spoken to a number of investors, who have pledged their support in this bipartisan bid for understanding and tolerance.

As you know, the Muslim faith doesn’t look kindly upon homosexuality, which is why I’m building this bar. It is an effort to break down barriers and reduce deadly homophobia in the Islamic world.

The goal, however, is not simply to open a typical gay bar, but one friendly to men of Islamic faith. An entire floor, for example, will feature non-alcoholic drinks, since booze is forbidden by the faith. The bar will be open all day and night, to accommodate men who would rather keep their sexuality under wraps – but still want to dance.

To be sure, a deliberate attempt to provoke is not akin to an accidental one. Nonetheless, it does not seem to occur to them that, while certainly the right to build a bar is not a bedrock tenet of America's civic traditions like building a house of worship is, there certainly is no reason why Muslims or anyone else should be able to prevent an otherwise legal and properly zoned* gay bar just because they find it offensive.

* Of course, as the post seems to recognize, zoning laws do sometimes take issue with bars being opened right next to houses of worship. In any event, assuming that there are no zoning issues -- sure, build the bar. I have no quarrel with it.

3 comments:

N. Friedman said...

A bar next to a religious institution - most especially a religion that frowns on alcohol -, even in crowded NYC, is mean spirited and inappropriate.

Tony Henke said...

We'll make a libertarian out of you yet.

sonicfrog said...

I also blogged on this.

A part of me loves the idea, if for nothing else, for the wonderful demonstration of just how spiteful an "energized" political faction can be. And it does make its point about tolerance.

On a personal level, I am also disturbed. After having to defend last weeks court decision invalidating Prop 8, in which I am constantly reminded that I’m just not quite as equal as heterosexuals (though I am reminded over and over again that me and the Sonicmate can get married…. just not to each other), I find this idea degrading. We’re not quite normal enough, not quite human enough, to enjoy the ultimate expression of love and unity, and to prove the point, the very same group that tells me this has no problem using us fags as a weapon to denigrate an entire religion. Hey, we may be sinners, and may not benefit society, but we sure can be useful if it’s in the name of hurting others..

So, in the spirit of being fair, I’m thinking maybe we ought to start building bars next to churches, temples and synagogues.

I’m not really advocating this, but it does seem like all is fair in love and war.

PS. If I were to play the game? The bar must be named Theo’s – It’s just a simple name, but MAN, what a statement that would make.

And gay bars built right by Christian churches would be named Matthew's.